Church of St. Mikuláš
*It has the same name as the more famous church in the Lesser Town on the opposite bank of the Vltava River. This church is the work of architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer. Is has a monumental baroque facade, two towers and a dome that replaced the original Renaissance church destroyed by fire in 1689. The new building became part of the Benedictine monastery
and abbey. The facade completed in 1737 is decorated with statues by Antonín Braun. The Baroque interior features frescos by Kosma Damián Asam. During the Napoleonic wars, the church was used as a silo for grain, and later as a warehouse for furniture.
Currently the church is used by the Czechoslovak Hussite Church. It is also regularly used for concerts.
Kontaktní informace
Ulice | Staroměstské náměstí | Město | Praha 1 |
---|